Sunday, June 2, 2013

My Take on the SFWA Controversy

Those of you who read science fiction might get a kick out of the current controversy over the SFWA bulletins. Just search SFWA on google or twitter, but above all, howl with laughter over this post by Foz Meadows:

http://fozmeadows.wordpress.com/2013/06/02/old-men-yelling-at-clouds-sfwa-lunacy/

Now, back to me (Sorry for editing that in, but some people have reminded me to remind others the above post was not my own):

Yes, ladies, I know you might get upset, but I am female and I am not particularly upset over it. Why not?

I prefer jerks to declare themselves openly.

What I am upset about is that the sexism is rampant. By sexism, I don't care that men slobber over bewbies or write/paint/design covers with so many sexual motifs. I've written a few comments about how extensively ladies laugh at 'penis compensation' motifs in sci fi, from Dune's giant worms to the tiny fighters penetrating and destroying the huge, ova-like Death Star. I've even wondered about Huxley's Brave New World and Asimov's Naked Sun as possible references to how the oldtimers prefer a future in which wimminz are not needed at all. I tried to be conciliatory at the end and say "Writers write. Hopefully, they also explain.  If you have a babe with melon-sized tits in space armor, at least please explain how she manages to get around them when firing her laser rifle."

No, by sexism I mean two things.  First, the assumption that female writers who write science fiction, even science fiction ROMANCE, do not do it 'as well' or 'properly' as the men and thus 'water down' the genre as a form of substantive literature.  Second, that men freely, in public and in 'authoritative' publications such as the SFWA Bulletin, think talking about a woman writer or editor's beauty has any value. Sure, she may be beautiful, and if you love women and their beauty, good for you! But keep it out of a professional discussion, please!

I'm all "Vive la difference". I love men, I love slobbering over half-nekkid pics of them, I totally adore flirting with them. But if the discussion turns professional, that's when I drop the 'hot babe' aspect of my personality and morph into 'data-mining philosopher'. It is unfortunate that so often I end a professional discussion with the thought, "Wow, another man who actually took me seriously."

6 comments:

Jacqueline Lichtenberg said...

I posted this link to Google+. You all know where I stand on this matter!

Eva Caye said...

Thanks, Jacqueline!

I may not make many women happy with my post, but then again, we all have our opinions!

I don't think of myself as a feminist; I prefer to think of myself as an equalist. This does not mean that I ignore a person's gender, nor that I don't like a rack of abs as much as the next lady. It simply means that I feel those things are appropriate to keep to yourself, or friends, and out of professional spheres.

Greta said...

Quite right, Eva. Gender has sod all to do with it. Unfortunately, it so often has. Like the 'no women allowed on the golf course on mens' competition day', or not allowed to join the MCC (Melbourne cricket club) not as a player. Many years ago I was told in all seriousness by a male air force officer that women were not accepted for pilot training for good, physical, reasons. I wonder what he'd think about all the female pilots in the USAF these days - and fighting in Afghanistan. too. OK, shutting up now.

Eva Caye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eva Caye said...

That's why I've always been a Robert A. Heinlein fan. Even in his 'juvie lit' days, he began demonstrating women as capable as men, and EXPLAINED in (say) Starship Troopers why women piloted the big ships.

Since the first U.S. astronauts were picked for their size (smaller is better) and the overwhelming amount of electronics in (say) Japan is produced by women (smaller hands to manipulate tiny components), it seems to me women will be prominent when we begin exploring space. Smaller = equal brain power for less food & mass to transport.

The point? If sexism drives women away from science fiction, it will likely also drive them away from science. Modern intelligence studies (of which I am not fond, btw) show female and male intelligence as equal, though almost any teacher will tell you the girls are smarter than the boys. If half of the most valuable minds on the planet are discouraged from pursuing science, distracted by overwhelming societal notions promulgating false securities in their minds ("You will be more important/successful/? if you are beautiful so Try Our Product!"), then I fear for our future. If you disregard the fact that we bear babies and subtracted all women's contributions from history, we would not have survived as a species. All the men would have killed each other long ago, trying to prove their prowess in order to get laid.

Anonymous said...

"If you disregard the fact that we bear babies and subtracted all women's contributions from history, we would not have survived as a species. All the men would have killed each other long ago, trying to prove their prowess in order to get laid."

True words. We need to leave the dark ages behind us once and for all.